Thursday, September 3, 2009

Precious Life

As many people know, yesterday, there was a big eartquake of 7.2 richter in Indonesia. I know the very minute it was over, from BL, my Indonesian friend. He wrote to me instantly. He said he was panicking and frighten because it shook so hard and many things came down. He said at that moment he thought of his family and dogs. BL, and his family have plans to visit me at Thailand soon. That's probably why he thought of me at the time. Anyhow, BL, his family, and his dogs are all fine.

I also wrote to my other Indonesian friends. They are all safe. I'm sorry to know that 46 Indonesian died. For such a strong earthquake, we must thank holy for a not more severe damage. Anyhow, I feel sorry and sad for all the lives lost.

BL, wrote to me today:

As if my life is not colorful enough, after earthquake yesterday, today, two hours ago, when I went to my office parking building, the securities stoped us. There was a strange package on the 8th floor of the parking building, possibly a bomb! Gosh!!!

It was a good thing that our securities worked fast and get away that package. I don't care what's actually inside that package - I just hurried home and feel like being reminded of how precious life is. Now I'm home, hugging and kissing my kids.

I read his email, and felt impressed. I would like to be with them, and hug them too, and tell them that I love them. Oh no, BL and family are coming to visit me, so I still have time. I'm just too emotional.


After I read BL's email, I thought of another one of my Thai friend. He lives on low income, but seems very happy. I asked him why he seems to happy with this way of life. He told me that when his life hit rock bottom, he used his last amount of money to go to India. He saw a lady on the street, cutting off her child's arm. He was shocked, and approached to ask her what happened. The Indian woman answered with dry voice and hopeless eyes, that she did that so that her child could beg on the streets for a living. This friend of mine was so shocked he dropped a piece of bread in his hand. Many street children gathered to pick up the bread.

He asked the guide to take him to a nearby bakery. He bought all the bread in the bakery, in total of about $100, and returned to give them away to those begging children, who were mostly crippled. Each child bowed to thank him. He asked himself how a human being could sacrifice all it's dignity in exchange for 25 cents worth of bread.

So he told himself how lucky he was to be complete with all ten toes, a family, and a job. He gets to choose which food is bad and good. He gets to possess many things other people don't. So he started thinking whether his life really was so horrible.

The feeling of "enough" is not about satisfying one desires, but realzing how much one has and be satisfied with that.

When the door of happiness closes down, another door would open up. Sometimes we spend our time looking at the closed door, not noticing the newly opened door. It's true that we sometimes don't realize what we have till it's gone.

To give all our love to someone, does not mean you will get love of equal proportion in return. Don't expect to love someone, and that someone to love you back. Be interested in the love you have given them, and how it grows in their hearts. But if it doesn't grow, then be satisfied with the love that grows in your heart.

Before my blog today will go any further, I would like to dedicate the above rose to all my friends who have a good life and a good heart. Enjoy the love that grows in your heart.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

So thankful all your friends are alright. You are so right so many aren't thankful for what they have. We all need to rejoice and be grateful for all we have. Help others who are in need. Thank you for the reminder for the wake up!

Jennifer said...

I am so impressed by Bl's story and your Thai friend's. Thank you for making me aware how precious life I have. Ahhh! I love my life, I love my family, I love my dogs. I am so blessed to have you in my life.

Karen said...

This world is so full of despair.
I try not to dwell on the negative but, be thankful for the good in life .So many others are not as fortunate.Count your blessings, everyone be healthy, and happy:)
Karen

Anonymous said...

Thank you Joom. I know a few people I am going to send this too. They are so down but they have a roof over their head and food in their belly. We all need to be appreciative for what we have. Love each other and help those in need! I would love to bring all those children here..Very sad! We are all so greedy we want want want. We need to work together to try to make this world a great place. Why should there be suffering people? There are so many that have much money who could help..UGH Anyway I hope you day gets better. Thankful your friends are OK>>Take care Ivy

donny beautiful valley chihuahua said...

i recieve your email as well, thank you, u are a very kind and sweet person, at the time of the quake i was in the 4th floor building, while running down the stairs, all i can think of is my dogs at home, i know my family and friends can run out side, but not my dogs, i was so nervous, i called people at home to make sure everything is ok, and thank god everything is fine.

Michelle said...

I am praying for families whom have lost loved ones, I am praying for the familes who have lost homes.. I am very happy your friend is ok and is counting his blessings every day with his family and children.

All to often we forget the things in life that are most important or take for granted.

I have developed great love for a handful of friends on this blog that in a life time couldnt possibly think cyber love could be so.

But as it stands....we can not control the way our heart perceives love or how it will respond to loving someone or something...we just go with it.......

So I am grateful for my family each day, and my new love for friends all over the world.

I would miss each and everyone of you if something was to happen!!

So we leave my comments by saying how truly blessed to be a part of our online blog and or beautiful friends all over the world!

Enjoy each day as it is given to you

xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed by this story and your friends; on this earth there a lot negative events, it's a real misery ...that affect me very sincerely ...

Marie

Kandra said...

OMG Joom, I am crying like a baby right now, We are going thru some rough times and I think my life is awful but after reading this blog, I have more to be thankful for in my life. Thank you so much for this blog, I really needed to hear it. I love you!! You are the sweetest friend I could ask for.

Anonymous said...

My prayers go out to all of the families. We all are very blessed to have good health, wonderful friend's and God's many blessings to wake up to everyday. I embrace all of these and pray for those that do not have them.
Blessings,
Gina

Jesús y Natalia said...

Really, a lot of times, we don't realize about our life.
We live quickly. We don't appreciate what we have: house, food, love, health, family...
It is very sad, we have to realize that when tragedies like this happens.
After some years, I have realized, to have a lot of things doesn't give us hapiness!! On the contrary, I belive when you NEED less things, more happy you are...

A strong hug!!

sugarhills said...

We heard on the news about the earthquake, we pray for the ones who lost their loved ones. And hope Bl and his familly still are safe!
It is so true, we sometimes take our dogs, friends and relatives for granted, and then, when we suddenly loose a loved one, life seems so unfaire. Everyday we should try to think that "the glass is half full" not half empty, try to be happy for things we all take for granted, like the sun rising an early morning, like the rain sound on the roof, life is so much more than money and expensive things...
Friends like you Joom, and all blog friends ar so impressive and humble people, thanks for being so caring and good friends, love Ellika and Peter

Carina said...

Thank you Joom for writing about this...

"We" often complane and say; If I just have more money... etc...
... but the world is full of people who has; nothing!!

I am very glad BL and his family are ok.
So sad for them who died....
and all the others who lost there home and loved ones...


God bless your good heart Joom.

Love to you and all others friends!

Roxana said...

Dear Friends,

It is so true what you all say! Life IS SO precious! We must live in thanksgiving! Loving and respecting one another. Be thankful for every minute we can spend with our children, family and friends.
Yes, life is so much more than material things ""stuff"!! It will never fill us. It will never make us happy.

Mrs. Joom, I am so glad your friends are ok. My sister, Andrea in California sent me horrible pictures of the fires over there. The Sky is gray, it is covered in smoke. It rains ashes in her house. She is not in danger nor her house, I thank God for that, but the Fire is so HUGE that no matter where you look the sky is gray. No more blue sky!
She asked to please be praying for California and those who lost their homes.

It seems that the world has gone mad. Destruction everywhere. Can God be telling us something???? Maybe it is time to leave our destructive ways and turn to Him! He says He will lead us to Green Pastures and give us rest! I long for those GREEN PASTURES!!!

Love u all! May God Bless you all in a great way!

Roxana said...

PS. Kandra, I don't know what you are going through but I will be praying for you. I pray that " The peace of God that surrpasses all understanding, guard your heart and thoughts through Christ Jesus." (with great respect to all beliefs)

I hope your hard time pass quickly!

Love,
Roxana

Unknown said...

What my sister, Roxana, said is true:
I live in "sunny California" and haven't seen the sun since Sunday! It's summer time and the sky all over LA is a big grey smoky cloud! It has made me so sad! But the good news is that I have my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ by my side! He is the only one who can save us from all this chaos the world is going thru! Trust in Him and he will deliver us from the works of our enemy!
God bless u all!

Andrea

Åsa Bäcklin said...

Oh it's so true. I loved your blog. It's very like my philosophy. I'm also that kind of person who likes to help other people in all kinds on situations and I don't do that for my own winning. Almost every time I helped out I've done that with my own money, in my own home and I've been forced to make sacrifices for my self. Although I think it has been worth it a lot to se another person grow or get a better life. For me all the living things are more important than having a life in wealth.

For example I've taken care of youngsters that the community given up on and all of them I've helped is today well organized young persons who has succeed with education and job and that makes me so proud of them. That is enough payment for me.

Anonymous said...

The story is heart-touching for me . My life is full of happiness and pleasures.
I have loving family and I try to see everything positive. I know that everything happens, it happens in God´s will.
I am thankful everyday for my husband and family, for our dogs, our house, our jobs. I see you are very near to me,
I want to thank you again. I think that there are no coincidence in our lives and there must be a reason why we are
talking together. I hope you feel it same way :)
I am sending you much love :)

Take care,
Michaela

BL said...

Thank you all for those nice and warm words. Hugs to you all!

Charles said...

Touching!

Both the stories in the blog and the comments are so touching my heart. My wife is still crying for the stories. I agree with every comment.

I am happy BL and friends are safe, deeply sorry for the ones who lost the love ones.

Mary Lue said...

Oh! I love the stories, the true stories that more impressive than some best seller books.Lots of tears!!!

I love all the comments that shine my heart.

Love you all.

Yupayao - Saiyai Doghome, Thailand www.saiyaidoghome.com said...

Thank you for the golden quotes everyone have in their comments. It shows everybody here have beautiful hearts fill with love following the same direction. I think it's the reason we are all here together.

Thank you BL and my Thai friend who are responsible for the stories, which help us think of these things. If for not both of you, we might forget to think of the precious things in our lives.

Not only you guys, me too.